Monday, August 30, 2010

Misunderstood Cupcakes


I have always loved sharks. Talk to ANYBODY that knows me, and they'll tell you. I can remember it all starting when I was about 8 years old and saw Jaws for the first time.

I'm the type of girl that watches Jaws and roots for the shark. I mean, yeah, it was killing people, but I practically shed a tear when Roy Scheider shoots that oxygen tank at the end.

Sappy-ness aside, I had a LOT of fun with these cupcakes. I might have even had TOO much fun, if it's even possible.

For the cake, I used a Devil's Food Chocolate Cupcake recipe that I honestly forgot which website I got it from.


And for the frosting, I used a boxed Wilton's buttercream icing recipe that I bought at Michael's. Normally, I am against using store bought frostings, but I was making these on a time crunch and couldn't find a recipe I liked.

I picked up a bottle of Duff's cake graffiti to spray on the icing to make it look like water. The hardest part was working with the fondant. I used a store bought rolled fondant and some Wilton's black icing color. I kneaded in the color to get the gray throughout the fondant and then formed some shark fins.

This was just a blast.


I mean, look at how legit these look.

Oh, and for a special surprise, I put a dark chocolate Hershey kiss in 6 of the cupcakes after pulling them out of the oven.

Add in a few of my favorite people and brand new specials on Discovery Channel all about my favorite animal, and you've got an awesome night ahead.

Always remember, when you're in the ocean, you never know what may be lurking beneath you...

No comments:

Post a Comment