Monday, October 4, 2010

Birthday Treats!

In the first week and a half of September, my nephew turned 1 and my niece turned 3. It was so much fun to celebrate with family, and I got to do some baking and decorating!

For Evan's 1st birthday, my sister-in-law baked a cake for his treat and cupcakes for the rest of the party guests. The theme for the evening was BASEBALL and I was ecstatic when she asked me to decorate the cakes.


Evan's cake was a funfetti cake slathered in cream cheese frosting. The decoration was very simple. I took my frosting spreader and with a cleaned end, lightly traced the curved lines. Then I took my red dyed frosting to create the stitching.

The hardest and most nerve-wracking part for me was the writing, because I had never done it before, but I think it turned out pretty nice, no?


The cupcakes were also funfetti with the funfetti frosting! My mom and I cut up some cherry twizzler strands to make the initial lines and then decided to add the stitching for fun, baseball cupcakes for all to eat!

Hailey's actual 3rd birthday was after my parents were leaving to go back home, so we had a small party with cupcakes and presents while they were in Idaho still. Since her real party was a princess theme, I made ladybug cupcakes for the special party.


These were SO much fun to make! I made red velvet cupcakes and then just colored the cream cheese frosting red and black. I actually had a nightmare that it wasn't going to turn out, but behold - it worked like magic!

Just a base of red frosting with a line down the middle, a half circle for the head and dots! Easy as pie...or, cake, I suppose.



My niece had fun watching me in action all that day, and she loved the cupcakes that night too! She kept talking about them afterwards, and that was the greatest success in my book.

My first real experiment with decorating, and I think it turned out great! The desserts were fantastic and everyone had a great time, including my niece and nephew. I absolutely love being an aunt. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment