Monday, October 4, 2010

Playing With My Food

Everyone grows up being told not to play with their food.

Well, that just takes all the fun out of life.

To me, playing with my food is more than building mashed potato mountains. It's experimenting. It is finding new ways to present the same old foods.

I decided to take this into my baking, and had nothing short of a good time.


First up, I decided to make Tye-Dye cupcakes. Which, although time-consuming, are not that difficult to make. Simply take a white or vanilla cake mix (you can use homemade, but I just used a box mix) and separate the batter into a few different bowls.

Pick your colors, and I suggest using more vibrant contrasting colors than I did. Mix a different color into each batter bowl, and get ready to get messy!

Fill the cupcake liners with whatever combination of batters you like. I did a spoonful at a time of each batter so that it would turn out evenly through the whole cupcake, but do whatever floats your boat.

Luckily, my adventures did not end there that night, as I present to you....my "accidental chocolate mousse."


Okay, so, it's not really a mousse, per se, but it is my delicious Chocolate Creamy Sauce, which came to me by accident.

I was originally trying to make a whipped chocolate frosting, but this ended up being my result. And the recipe is so easy, it'll kill you.

In a medium metal mixing bowl, pour about a cup of heavy whipping cream. Using an electric hand mixer, start whipping the cream. You may want to add a few tablespoons of sugar for sweetness. While still very much liquid, scoop several spoonfuls of store-bought chocolate frosting into your bowl and continue mixing.

From there on, simply keep mixing and tasting along the way. You may want to add more sugar, cream, or frosting until you reach the taste you prefer. It's that simple.


I simply dipped each cupcake in the bowl of Chocolate Creamy Sauce and then topped with some homemade whipped cream (1 cup cream, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla).

But oh no, I wasn't stopped there. I just had to top it all off with some chocolate shavings.

See, my experimental cupcakes are very much like me: random, with many layers, sometimes hard to understand, but I am a total sweetie. :)

I know, I know. That was a little too cheesy, gag. But hey, I have my soft side.

Got room for dessert? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment